Clear your calendar for the evening of January 17. The folks at Batdorf & Bronson and The Coffee Bar are challenging baristas (and, hell, anybody) to compete in culinary competition a la Iron Chef. The aptly named Iron Tamper Competition is an opportunity to explore creative uses for unique ingredients, and test quick-thinking competitors on their ability to craft palatable, if not darn right tasty, concoctions.
Three secret ingredients will be unveiled at the start of the event. They could be anything, from citrus fruits and exotic spices to peanut butter and jelly or just about anything that’s legally permitted to ingest. Come out and compete, or just spectate and see what the competitors are serving up.
The ground rules
- Each competitor is paired with another barista
- A selection of three secret ingredients is unveiled
- Pairs have 10 minutes to craft an espresso-based drink
- Must use at least one of the secret ingredients
- Outside implements/ingredients are permitted (but no alcohol)
- Drinks can be prepared either hot or iced
- Judged on overall flavor, creative use of ingredients and balance of flavors
The Iron Tamper Competition is $5 to enter, and the winning pair will split the pot. Other prizes will be available. This event is sponsored by Batdorf & Bronson and The Coffee Bar.
Iron Tamper Competition
Thursday, January 17
The Coffee Bar
1201 S St, NW
RSVP on Facebook or just pop by on January 17.